in this exercise you will choose an audience and a message next you will decide which genre would work best for your argument what your argument is doesn t matter much i want to know why you choose that genre for that message and that audience why w
Genre Analysis Activity
In this exercise, you will choose an audience and a message. Next, you will decide which genre would work best for your argument. What your argument is doesnâ€™t matter much. I want to know why you choose that genre for that message and that audience. Why will it work best? Why wonâ€™t the other ones work? What does your chosen genre allow you to do? What would the authors prevent you from doing?
(This is practice with simple arguments to get ready for the more complex ones, the local ones you have chosen. We will begin working with those that in the next activity)
Step One: Message/Purpose
- Persuade people to stop going out for fun during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Persuade people to not buy 15 packs of toilet paper for social distancing/quarantine
- Persuade people to wash their hand when they do have to go out.
- Persuade students to develop a schedule for doing homework while working onlineStep Two AudienceYou will make your chosen message to one of these audiences:Choose one:â€¢ High school kids who you donâ€™t know
â€¢ Grandparents whoo are over 60 years old.
â€¢ A Newlywed couple in the their 30â€™s
â€¢ A two parent family with two children who are 4 and 7 years old.
Step Three Genre
Now you, the rhetor, take your message and audience and decide on a genre. It needs to be a written or something prepared (like a speech or poster.)
Some choices include the following
- Social Media Post (decide which social media)
- Opinion article in the newspaper (editorial or op-ed. Click this link for more info: https:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op-ed) and see examples https://www.nytimes.com/section/opinion)
- Magazine Articles
- Youtube Videos
- Any other genre that you think is a good choiceStep Four
One to two page analysisNow write one page telling me why your genre choice is the best for your message. DO NOT WRITE THE ARGUMENT. Sure, you need to know what you would say to hight school students to persuade them to wash their hands, but I donâ€™t need that. I want to know why you choose that genre for that message and that audience. Why will it work best? How does is make the argument work better? stronger? Why wonâ€™t the other ones work? What does your chosen genre allow you to do? What would the authors prevent you from doing? What good ideas would your chosen genre allow you to do to make your points?In short, all genres have constraints. You are thinking about how those limitations and allowances affect the way an argument can be made.
. Write at least one page in MLA format
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!