Answer TWO (2) QUESTIONS in
. Minimum of two (2) pages for question for a total
of 4-6 pages for the entire exam. SUBMIT YOUR ANSWERS TO TURNITIN ASSIGNMENTS
(IN BLACKBOARD). Remember, Turnitin is omniscient and sees where you are getting your
material. Plagiarism is the unpardonable sin of academia. EXAM DUE:
MARCH 18TH, BEFORE 11:30 P.M.
INTERNET OR OTHER OUTSIDE SOURCES ARE
ALLOWED. USE ONLY THE TEXTS AND THE VIDEOS.
1. What are the paths to salvation in the Bhagavad Gita? Illustrate these paths from the Gita
itself with relevant quotes that support your exposition. Again, your quotes must come from the
required reading and the Gita only.
2. What are the fundamental concepts of the Upanishads? Why and how were these concepts so
revolutionary, then and now? How do these concepts stand in sharp opposition to the
fundamental assumptions of Vedic religion, and how do Upanishads accommodate themselves to
this religion in spite of this apparent or real opposition? Again, only the lectures, films, and
required reading can be used to answer the questions.
3. What are the Four Noble Truths and what role do they play in the Buddhist religion? Do the
Four Noble Truths support the view that Buddhism is a religion, a philosophy, or the end of
religion? Or is religious Buddhism in contradiction with its fundamental assumptions? How is
religious Buddhism to be reconciled with philosophical Buddhism? Again, only the lectures,
films, and required reading can be used to answer the questions.
4. Buddhism and Jainism arose as revolts against Vedic religion. What do they have in
common, and how do they differ? Even as revolts against Vedic religion (including the
Upanishads), what elements from Vedic religion do they incorporate into their system of beliefs
and which do they reject?
5. The Sikh religion draws elements from two religions. What are these two religions and what
elements does Sikhism borrow from each? Also, what elements of Sikhism are original and not
dependent on the influence of the other two religions which influenced it?