Week 3 – Assignment
Legislation And The Evolution And Development Of Higher Education
[WLOs: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] [CLOs: 1, 2, 6]
For this assignment, you will identify one of the milestone pieces of legislation examined in this unit. You will then write a five to seven page paper which will:
- Describe the socioeconomic factors which led to the legislation.
- Analyze the impact of the legislation on higher education in terms of enrollment, access, diversity, etc.
- Analyze the impact that this legislation has had on society (e.g., workforce development, societal change).
- Identify current or proposed legislation which may impact contemporary higher education.
Your paper must follow APA (7th ed.) standards, and utilize at least two additional scholarly sources not used this week.
Cohen, A.M. & Kisker, C.B. (2010). The shaping of American higher education: Emergence and growth of the secondary system (2nd ed). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Chapter 3: University Transformation as the Nation Industrializes, 1870-1944, pp. 115; 118-122.
- Chapter 4: Mass Higher Education in the Era of American Hegemony, 1945-1975, pp. 194-195; 262.
- Chapter 6: Privatization, Corporatization, and Accountability in the Contemporary Era, 1994-2009, p. 439.
Jo, V. H. (2008). Voluntary turnover and women administrators in higher education. Higher Education, 56(5), 565-582.
Stanley, M. (2003). College education and the midcentury GI Bills. Quarterly Journal Of Economics, 118(2), 671-708. https://doi.org/10.1162/003355303321675482.
Woodbury, R. L. (2004). Higher education and the promise of opportunity. New England Journal of Public Policy, 20(1), 95-99.
Lucas, C. P. (2012, July 16). Why the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act still matters (Links to an external site.). Chronicle of Higher Education [Online]. Retrieved January 30, http://chronicle.com/article/article-content/13287…
United States Department of Education. (2002). Legislative history of major FERPA provisions (Links to an external site.). Retrieved January 30, 2020, from http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/pdf/ferpaleghistory.pdf
American Enterprise Institute. (2009). Increasing accountability in higher education (Links to an external site.) [Video]. YouTube.
Colorado State University. (2012, June 29). Morrill Land Grant Act: 150 years and still moving forward (Links to an external site.) [Video]. YouTube.
University of California, Irvine. (2011, March 29). History of women in education (Links to an external site.) [Video]. YouTube.
Library of Congress. (n.d.). Morrill Land Grant Act (Links to an external site.). Retrieved January 30, 2020, from http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/Morrill….
U. S. Department of Education. (n.d.). The database of accredited postsecondary institutions and programs (Links to an external site.). Retrieved January 30, 2020, from http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
U.S. Department of Education. (n.d.). Higher education opportunity act (Links to an external site.). Retrieved January 30, 2020 from, https://www2.ed.gov/policy/highered/leg/hea08/index.html
U. S. Department of Education. (n.d.). Home | U.S. Department of Education (Links to an external site.). https://www.ed.gov