Clinical Makeup Assignment Fall 2018
Please complete a minimum of five pages (content) paper using APA for spacing and in-text citations. Include a cover page and a reference page, but do not count those in the 5 pages. You do not need to include an abstract or other elements of an APA research paper. Just use APA for basic format and citations.
Include a minimum of 3 scholarly references. Paper will include a well thought out introduction, body, and conclusion.
In recent events, a nurse at Vanderbilt Hospital administered the wrong medication, resulting in the patientâ€™s demise. Explore and discuss this current event, MINIMALLY including the following:
- Discuss what is know about the case, and where is stands and what is next.
- When did the error occur?
- Why did it take so long to come to light?
- What is the current status of the nurse?
- Discuss/explore what safety measures were in place to prevent this tragic event
- Were they enough?
- Suggest and elaborate on more safety measures.
- Did the nurse follow them?
- Speculate as to why or why not?
- Include information on rate of fatal and non-fatal medication errors in the US.
- Include standard safety measures that should be in place to prevent all medication errors.
- What is the NCSBN and the KS State practice actsâ€™s stance on patient safety?
- Include a personal opinion section on the case.
- Do you think the nurse or the hospital should be at fault?
- Elaborate as to why or why not and detail your answers.
- How could the orientee could have helped? And was it her position to do so?
- Based on the given information, do you think the nurse was qualified to give the ordered medication?
- Support your answer.
You will be graded on the following:
- Overall content- Uses scholarly references to support content in a cohesive manner
- Grammar/structure â€“ Includes well constructed Intro/Body/conclusion
- Inclusion of above points- Minimally covers above points in a cohesive manner
- APA â€“ uses proper 6th Ed. APA guidelines for in-text citations and reference page and basic format of spacing.
If the paper is not satisfactory, it will result in a fail for the day and for clinical. This paper should take the same amount of time as a makeup day, and is thusly considered a fair trade for inability to make up a clinical day.
Here are a few resources on the topic in question to get you familiar with the case (Zdog is not a scholarly referenceâ€¦can be included, but you will still need your scholarly (peer reviewed) references):
https://zdoggmd.com/incident-report-203/—- this has the CMS case report. Quite interesting.