Module 8: Portfolio Project
- Points 300
- Submitting a file upload
Portfolio Project (300 Points)
Important! Read First
Choose one of the following two Portfolio Projects (options shown below) to complete. Do not do both assignments. Identify your assignment choice in the title of your submission. Review the Portfolio Project grading rubric to understand how youâ€™ll be graded on your project.
Instructions for Both Portfolio Project Options
Your Portfolio Project will contain two sections (Section 1 and Section 2). For each section, you need to provide a 6-page narrative (for a full project total of a 12-page narrative) as outlined below:
Assume you have been appointed as an architect or design professional for a construction project. Further assume that you need to specify the materials that have to be used for implementing the construction project. Your choices and considerations will reflect on project plans, specifications, and other contract documents.
Section 1 (Whole Building Design Guide).
Explore the following two sections of the WBDG – Whole Building Design Guide:
- Guides & Specifications (Links to an external site.)
- Design Recommendations (Links to an external site.)
- Based on your review of the above set of resources, choose three building elements that relate to any of the topics of soil, wood, concrete, masonry materials, steel, asphalt, bituminous materials, or sustainable construction materials.
- Then prepare a minimum of a six-page narrative (excluding supplemental pages, such as the cover page, table of contents, references, and appendices â€“ if any) to describe the three elements you identified in Item I above. Discuss the following main considerations in:
- choosing these elements in buildings
- preparing these elements in buildings
- placing and installing these elements in buildings
Section 2 (Principles of Construction Materials).
Use the course textbook and other reliable, peer-reviewed references to provide a six-page narrative to outline:
- your choices of materials (from the list of materials provided below) and your rationale by considering the following criteria, at a minimum: practical suitability, climate, economic, sustainability, and safety considerations), and
- the main practical and technical considerations in preparation, placement, and installation of the materials by considering means and methods, and equipment and machinery needed to install the material.
Portfolio Project Options
Here are your two Portfolio Project choices:
Portfolio Project Option #1:
- Brick masonry
- Bituminous materials
Portfolio Project Option #2:
- Stone masonry
Your submission should be a minimum of 12-pages in length and formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements (Links to an external site.). Be sure to discuss and reference concepts taken from the course reading material and relevant research. You must include a minimum of 8 peer-reviewed scholarly resources beyond the text or other course materials. The CSU-Global Library (Links to an external site.) is a great place to find resources. Be sure to properly organize your writing and include an introduction, headings / subheadings for the body of your work, analysis and recommendations, conclusion, and list of references. Consult the assignment template (Links to an external site.) for a more complete list of requirements. Review the grading rubric to see how you will be graded for this assignment.
Book if Needed;
Fundamentals of Building Construction Materials and Methods
Edward Allen; Joseph Iano