********DB 3 assignment 1*********
Within the Discussion Board area, write 400â€“600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
There has been a large amount of public debate regarding many of the provisions of the USA Patriot Act as they relate to civil liberties. Using the course materials, the library, and the Internet, research the USA Patriot Act as it relates to civil liberties. Utilizing the information, please answer the following questions, and respond to at least 2 of your classmatesâ€™ posts on this topic as well. You are encouraged to return to this Discussion Board often, because this is a subject that many feel very strongly about. Regardless of your personal feelings one way or the other on these questions, please maintain a professional and cordial tone in your initial post, and more importantly, in your responses to your classmates.
- How important is maintaining people’s right to privacy in the fight against terrorism? Provide support for your answer. There is no right or wrong answer, only properly supported one. Here are two sites to get started:
- Mulligan, S. (2015). A question of risk Retreived from https://it.ojp.gov/PrivacyLiberty/authorities/stat…
- UN News (2010). UN right expert says Security Council’s counter-terrorism measures lack legal basis. Retreived from https://news.un.org/en/story/2010/10/357182-un-rig…
- Should people compromise their civil liberties to improve their chances in the fight against extremists? Provide support for your answer.
- What civil liberties, if any, are you willing to give up to ensure a safer United States? Provide support for your answer. Choose any legally supported civil liberty you would give up. Think about the Constitutional rights afforded to all Americans
- Where should government draw the line on issues such as privacy and other individuals’ freedoms? Provide support for your answer.
- Are there any rights that are so sacred that they should never be infringed upon? If so, what are they? Provide support for your answer.
********Individual Project 3**********
Is a 2-3 page paper on the IRTPA:
- What is the primary purpose or purposes of IRTPA? Explain. You can find info on the IRTPA at DOJ (2004). IRTPA. Retrieved from https://it.ojp.gov/PrivacyLiberty/authorities/statutes/1282
- What is this statute designed to do? Explain.
- Describe and discuss the specific provisions of IRTPA as they relate to civil liberties. Focus on the civil liberties guaranteed by law.
- Assess whether the Act went far enough to protect civil liberties. You will need to understand the idiosyncrasies of the act.
- Did the provisions do enough, or should the legislation have been drafted to do more to protect civil liberties? Why or why not? Explain in detail.
- Government documents represent one of the best sources of information regarding this particular task.
- The actual legislation (the bill that was signed into law), or records of Congressional and Senatorial hearings are an example of such documents. Reports to Congress, such as the Congressional Research Service, are another example.
- The Homeland Security Digital Library is one source for these examples, as well as many other documents that can assist with this task.
- Use at least 3 legitimate sources. Be sure to format your references using APA style.
********DB 3 assignment 2*********
- CRS Issue Statement on Organized Crime and Gangs in the U.S.
- Foreign Terrorist Organizations 8/10/2010
- Prostitution as a Possible Funding Mechanism for Terrorism
Contemporary Domestic Terrorism Issues
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400â€“600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
- Was the Department of Homeland Security wrong in the threat assessment released in November of 2009, in which it cited a growing threat from domestic extremist groups and individuals? Why or why not? Explain.
- Was it inappropriate to discuss the domestic environment and possible motivations for citizens to engage in terrorist behavior and acts? Why or why not?
- Do you feel that it illustrated a lack of trust of U.S. citizens? Explain.
- Should the Secretary of Homeland Security have apologized for the assessment? Why or why not?
- If such briefings are not tolerable to the citizens of the United States, how should the federal government (or state or local governments) communicate to its citizens information related to trends in domestic terrorism, hate groups and crimes, and the risk posed to citizens? Explain in detail.
- Should certain groups or individuals be off-limits when discussing potential terrorist motivations (e.g., military veterans)?
******Individual Project 2********
The purpose of this assignment is to explore the horizon of Americaâ€™s terrorism threat portfolio. Your assignment is not to merely identify and list organizations and movements that may engage in terrorist activities against the U.S. but also to demonstrate a deeper understanding, based upon research you conduct, of their history and their motivations. Based upon the research questions below, you are to write an analysis of 1,000â€“1,250 words that addresses the current and future foreign-borne terrorism threat portfolio of the United States. Include in your discussion an assessment of possible solution sets and techniques, based upon your analysis of the terrorist organizations you identify as the most threatening.
While forecasting future events is an inexact science, a professional intelligence analyst bases their conclusions on solid facts and sound principals of analysis. It is extremely important that you do the same in this assignment.
- Address the following in an analysis document of 2-3 pages:
- What are the primary motivations behind international terror organizations that continue to plan to or actively strike against Western nations? Explain.
- Have these motivations changed over the past several decades? Have they changed since September 11, 2001? Explain.
- Are the motivations realistic and achievable? Why or why not?
- How would you characterize the level of threat to the United States posed by international terrorists? Explain.
- Based on your research, do you feel that the threat is increasing or decreasing? Why?
- What are the 3 primary terrorist organizations or movements that you believe pose the greatest threat to the United States? Why?
- Should the United States engage in an active dialogue with terrorist organizations in an effort to seek a peaceful solution? Why or why not?
- In what domains does the most effective solution for countering the terrorist challenge exist? Consider the following:
- National defense (e.g., armed military conflict)
- National security (e.g., intelligence and secret operations)
- International diplomacy (e.g., the United Nations; regional nation-state organization support; and negotiating with nonstate organizations, including providing them with legitimacy)
- Homeland security (e.g., securing the nationâ€™s borders and domestic investigations)
- Consider what the lack of a successful terrorist strike against the continental United States (CONUS) since 9/11 means to the current and near-term (5-year or less) threat horizon. Have overseas operations successfully countered the foreign-born terrorism threat? Explain.
- Have robust domestic HS efforts deterred terror groups and individuals from trying? Why or why not?
- Compile your responses in the final analysis document, and submit the file to your instructor.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.