Please answer the following questions:
Please use this document to take notes/draft your answers.Submit your final answers for grading to the â€œHomework 5 Final Answersâ€ file to be graded.
All answers must be in your own words.Answers copied directly from the textbook, PowerPoint, or an online source will not be given credit.
Each question is worth 2 points.
- If an organism had a genome made up of 20,000 base pairs, how many bases (As, Ts, Cs, and Gs) does it actually have?If you know that there are 4,000 Ts, how many Cs? As? Gs?
- What is the role of DNA in a cell?Two strands of DNA are held together by hydrogen bonds.Would a covalent bond be a better option for holding the DNA strands together?Why or why not?Explain your reasoning for full credit.
- What is a dogma?Describe the central dogma of biology.Include the names of the three cellular molecules and the three processes that make those molecules in your description.
- Other than topoisomerase and gyrase, name and describe the 6 enzymes/proteins used in DNA replication of the leading strand.Are the same 6 enzymes/proteins used to replicate the lagging strand?
- The lagging strand is replicated discontinuously (in Okazaki fragments.)Why is it not replicated continuously like the leading strand? Be specific and use enzyme names and directionality in your answer.
- How is all RNA made? Describe the process of translation in terms of the three types of RNA discussed in this unit.